Language |

Work in the UK while studying

OK Student | 9 Sep

Many international students want to work part-time in the UK while studying. A student visa allows up to 20 hours of work per week during the academic year, so you can still focus on your studies. There are plenty of part-time jobs offered in the UK, especially with Brexit’s impact on foreign workers’ supply. Here’s how to get one!

Right to work in the UK while studying

To work in the United Kingdom during your studies, you need a National Insurance Number (NINo). You can get yours here. UK Flag That doesn’t mean you cannot work! You can still prove you have a right to work in the UK. According to page, your official national document, such as passport or a UK visa gives you a right to work. Your employer needs to make a copy of:
  • Your passport (including visible expiry date);
  • Your details (for example nationality, date of birth and photograph);
  • Your proof of enrolment in a British University.
As stated before, you will only be allowed to work 20 hours per week during term time. Despite this, during Christmas, Easter and Summer vacations you can work up to 40 hours per week and make the most out of your free time (as well as earn some extra money 🤑).

Look for open vacancies

One way to apply for a job is to look for open vacancies on various websites. One of them is Indeed, where you can find all kinds of jobs. You can find general info about a job there such as hourly pay, expected start of the role, work shifts information and similar and how and where to apply. Other pages where you can take a look are Reed, StudentJob and CVLibrary.


To apply for any kind of job, you’ll need a good CV and a motivational letter. Not all jobs are the same and therefore, not all applications should be the same. CV to work in the UK as a Student Check which are the keywords in every job offer and tailor your application accordingly. If you are applying for, let’s say a job in a pub, highlight your customer service skills and your ability to multitask and work in a team. If, on the other hand, you’re applying for an administrator position, you’ll want to highlight your attention to detail and organization skills.

You should provide specifics, describing where and how you had a chance to acquire those skills, mentioning previous roles you may have had or what you learned from your previous education. Maybe you volunteered somewhere and that brought you soft-skill practical knowledge. Think about all activities you took part in and take the best out of every one. You can always contact your university’s Careers & Employability office to help with your application!

Open a bank account

In order to get paid in the UK, you need an UK bank account. Usually, you university will suggest a branch during your Welcome week, but you can explore other options as well. Image for post For opening a student bank account you’ll need your passport, university card and proof of residence. If you experience any difficulties opening an account in a UK based bank, try one of the so called ‘online’ banks that have a possibility of opening an UK account. Some of them are Monzo and Revolut. You apply online, confirm your identity and get your sort code and bank account. The only thing is, online banks don’t have physical branches, so all customer services are being held online.

Work in the UK while studying: Tell us your experience

Let us know if you work in the United Kingdom as a student and want to share your experience of applying to a job! We’d love to hear your stories. Email us at If you want to study abroad, don’t hesitate and reach us here!